Tuesday, July 21, 2009

10 Things Parents Should Know About Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

harry potter 6
harry potter 6

1. Will I like it?
Let’s put it this way: if you liked the books and prior films, you’ll like the movie. At this point, I think the films are starting to take the story to places the book never did. David Yates is the most even-handed director to date, and the result is a very good film, mostly because he doesn’t tamper with the aesthetic. Not to mention the performances are quite stellar. I was most impressed by Tom Felton’s tortured Draco Malfoy; his chops have quite improved.

2. Will my kids like it?
It depends if they’re die-hard Potter fans or not. There are a few scenes added to the film that were not in the books, and some other divergences. I know when I was young, that sort of thing really irked me. But Yates makes up for this by, once again, making the books simply come to life on screen. The special effects are pervasive but subtle, and the world just teems with detail.

3. Is this a kissing movie?
Well, um, yeah. Kinda. Readers of the books will not be surprised, of course, but there is a quite a lot of snogging in the sixth installment of the Harry Potter series. Add to that a fair share of sexual innuendo and tension, and it makes for a much more lighthearted movie than the last few. The kids are growing up, after all!

4. Is this movie really PG?
Isn’t there some really dark stuff? Not to mention all that kissing.
I guess the term “fantasy violence” is appropriate here. That, and deciding what your kid’s (and your) comfort level is. The horrific Inferi are introduced in a scene that might lead to nightmares for younger children. The snogging doesn’t go overboard. And, if you’ve read the books, you know that the end is pretty intense. In a lot of ways. Just because the violence isn’t gratuitous doesn’t mean it won’t affect your kid, especially in matters of life and death.

5. What’s the best time to use the loo?
When Harry goes to Slughorn’s party. Either one. Or during snogging.

6. Anything magic after the credits?
Nope, no further witchcraft or wizardry at the end of the reel. However, the ending credits, as usual, are pretty awesome. Not as sweet as the ones for Prisoner of Azkaban but still fun to watch.

7. How does it stack up to the other films?
As I said before, I think the franchise has hit the right stride with Yates. He’s not forcing any new “vision” of the Potter movies, but rather adding subtle brush-strokes to the world that’s already been established. The film is beautifully done, from a cinematic perspective, if not a little misty throughout, almost chilly. But he’s appropriate for this point. Cuarón, in my mind, had the best take on the series, and everything since has felt like a continuation of that. Thankfully.

8. Will I want to see it again?
If you’re a geek like me who has occasional daydreams of being sorted into one of the houses at Hogwarts, yes. As we’ve come to expect, the world of Harry Potter is lush with detail, and I’m sure there’s stuff I missed. I didn’t see Order of the Phoenix twice, but overall I think I enjoyed Half-Blood Prince a bit more, so I may yet see it again.

9. Is it scary? Loud? Emotional?
A bit, occasionally and heck yes. I mean, assuming you’ve read the books, you know what I mean. If you’re like me, bring Kleenex.

10. How is it handled… you know, in the end?
The end of the book is dealt with very respectfully. Not gratuitous. Very moving. Definitely left me wanting to see the next two films.

No comments: