Friday, July 24, 2009

Brickyard: Toyota NASCAR Sprint Cup Race Preview

toyota camry
toyota camry

Toyota Camry drivers have combined for five wins (Kyle Busch -- Las Vegas, Bristol and Richmond; David Reutimann -- Charlotte; Joey Logano -- New Hampshire), 21 top-fives and 39 top-10 finishes through 19 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) races this season … Camry drivers Robby Gordon and Max Papis have both competed in the Indianapolis 500 and fellow Camry driver Scott Speed has competed in the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix at the historic Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) … Papis and Speed could become the 14th and 15th drivers, respectively, to participate in two major races at IMS upon taking the green flag in Sunday’s Brickyard 400.KYLE BUSCH, No. 18 Snickers Toyota Camry, Joe Gibbs Racing

Is it special to race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

"I think it’s neat that both big-time auto racing, whether in open-wheel racing or stock car racing -- the upper echelon of both of those series get to race at Indianapolis -- that’s what makes it special. You have to make it to the big-time to make it there, to have the names that have raced there and to share their memories of it has been cool."

JOEY LOGANO, No. 20 Home Depot Toyota Camry, Joe Gibbs Racing

What was your first impression of Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

"It’s Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It’s one of a kind. There’s no other race track like it, and knowing the history, knowing all those guys have raced there, have won there, and just going there. I remember going out for the first time and you get off the access road onto the back straightaway, and you’re like, ‘Check this out.’ You grab high gear and you’re just going. Personally, I was just going off what I’ve seen on TV and a video game, going off into turn three for the first time, I drove it off in there hard just hoping for the best. It’s cool how it’s so different than every other race track."

MAX PAPIS, No. 13 GEICO Toyota Camry, Germain Racing

What will it mean for you to race in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

"The Indianapolis 500 has been there for years -- there is so much history. I have felt while I have been around NASCAR in general, that the respect toward the track and the anticipation about going there is actually heartfelt within the NASCAR group as much as it was when I raced in the Indy 500 in the open-wheel car. In my personal heart, being able to go out there and make it in the show would be equal or more than going out and making the Indy 500 because it’s a new challenge for me and it’s a challenge on a track that has so much history. I am looking forward to getting to race there in NASCAR."

SCOTT SPEED, No. 82 Red Bull Toyota Camry, Red Bull Racing Team

How will racing in a NASCAR race be different than a Formula 1 event at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

"Everything about Indianapolis was completely different. In Formula 1 we even ran in reverse down the straightway. Racing on the oval is going to be a completely new situation. As far as what’s going to be the same for me at Indianapolis -- I do know where the good restaurants are, and I’ve played the Brickyard Crossing golf course, which I’ll probably do again. Other than that, not much will be familiar for me."

BRIAN VICKERS, No. 83 Red Bull Toyota Camry, Red Bull Racing Team

How has the tire situation improved for this year’s Brickyard 400?

"Obviously, last year was an embarrassment for the sport at Indianapolis. It was not at all what anybody wanted, and I commend NASCAR and Goodyear -- they’re going above and beyond to try to get this problem fixed. When you make these tires slower and harder, they just slide across the pavement and because of that grooving it just turns into a shredder and they just don’t last. So, we’re going to have to have a softer, faster tire that essentially will grip the track instead of sliding across it to make it last. If they can find a way around it, great, but if not I think we just accept the inevitable and have a fast tire and good race."

NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS)

NEWS, NOTES & NUMBERS: Toyota Camry drivers have recorded nine wins (Busch -- California, Texas, Richmond, Nashville-2, New Hampshire and St. Louis; Logano -- Nashville-1, Kentucky, Chicagoland), 35 top-fives and 69 top-10 finishes through 19 NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) races this season … Camry drivers have led 2,247 NNS laps this year … Busch leads the NNS point standings by 212 points over second-place Carl Edwards … Camry drivers have won back-to-back NNS races at O’Reilly Raceway Park (ORP) … Busch won last year and Jason Leffler earned the first NASCAR win for a Camry in 2007.

JASON LEFFLER, No. 38 Great Clips Toyota Camry, Braun Racing

How much are you looking forward to ORP?

"ORP is an exciting track for me. Obviously, I’ve raced there a lot and it’s a big week of racing that seems to kick off with the race at Gateway. I just love ORP. It’s really my home track and it’s a track that I’ve raced at the most in my career. I’m going back there with a lot of family and friends and supporters in the stands. As well as we ran a couple of years ago, it would be cool to get another win there. I’m going to run my USAC Midget there on Thursday night too, so maybe I can start it off with a win there."

NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS)

NEWS, NOTES & NUMBERS: In 12 NCWTS races in 2009, Toyota Tundra drivers have combined for six wins (Todd Bodine -- Daytona and Texas; Busch -- California and Atlanta; Mike Skinner -- Kansas; Brian Scott -- Dover), 34 top-fives and 64 top-10 finishes … In addition, Tundra drivers have recorded three poles and led 898 laps … Former Toyota driver Johnny Benson earned the first win for a Tundra at ORP last year … Nineteen-year-old Caitlin Shaw will make her NASCAR debut in Friday’s NCWTS race driving the No. 1 Red Horse Racing Tundra.

CAITLIN SHAW, No. 1 Red Horse Racing Toyota Tundra, Red Horse Racing

How excited are you about your first career Camping World Truck Series start?

"It’s such a huge accomplishment for me to be able to compete in this series. Driving in NASCAR has always been a goal of mine, and it’s exciting to see some of the hard work pay off. I can’t wait to get on the track, especially at O'Reilly Raceway Park. It’s a great opportunity that Toyota and Red Horse have made possible for me. I consider ORP to be one of my home tracks because I’ve been there testing and racing so often with the midget it just feels like home. I think that will help me to get past the nerves allowing me to focus on running with the other trucks and earning some respect from the veteran drivers."

TODD BODINE, No. 30 Ventrilo Toyota Tundra, Germain Racing

What is it like to race at O’Reilly Raceway Park?

"ORP is a flat track. It’s real easy to overdrive it. The Ventrilo Tundra has got to turn good through the center to be able to drive off the corner. It gets real frustrating if it doesn’t turn good because then it will get loose off the corners. It takes a lot of patience to race at ORP. You have to be perfect to be in position at the end of the race. We’ve worked really hard on our short track program and we’ll be trying a totally different set up this week."

No comments: